- 1 600 gram/26 oz jar of Feature Foods Herring in Wine Marinade, drained, onions removed, and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small potato, peeled, boiled, and chopped into ¼ inch cubes
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and chopped into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- 6 thin slices of pumpernickel bread halved
- Green leaf lettuce
Place herring, potato, onion, pickle and apple in a bowl and mix. Add mayonnaise and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread each piece of bread with butter. Top with lettuce leaf and then the herring mixture. Serve immediately.